Tuesday, May 12, 2009
In Defense of the Revolution and Democracy in Nepal from Socialist Party of Malaysia
In Defense of the Revolution and Democracy in Nepal - Solidarity Message to the Revolutionary Masses of Nepal
1. Socialist Party of Malaysia (PSM) would like to express our greatest concern over the current political development and intensifying social struggles in the newly born Republic of Nepal.
2. The political and military elites have once again revealed their true nature when the President who is from the conservative Nepali Congress overridden the decision of Prime Minister Prachanda from the Unified Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) (UCPN-M) to sack the Chief of Army Staff, Katawal. Some opportunist sections of the coalition government like Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist-Leninist) (CPN-UML) also turned to the right by opposing the UCPN-M move.
3. The army high command has refused to obey instruction from the elected civilian government as well as refused to implement key parts of 2006 peace accords which included the integration of UCPN-M-led People’s Liberation Army (PLA) into the current army force. Sections of the high command in the current Nepalese Army have committed serious human rights violations during the armed conflict with PLA and continued to enjoy impunity, even planned to stage a military coup against the elected government.
4. It is clear that the Nepalese elites wanted to keep the Nepalese Army from integrated with the revolutionary fighters from PLA in order to continue to use the Army as a violent tool to repress the struggle of the poor in Nepal.
5. The Nepalese elites have received support from imperialist power and regional power, especially the United States and India, which both of whom fear of the establishment of a radical and pro-poor regime in South Asia.
6. The UCPN-M has a little choice but to withdraw from the coalition government and call for street protests to defend democracy. This can be turned into a new wave of people uprising in the country for democracy and social justice.
7. The decade-long Maoist-led “People’s War” and the 2006 mass democratic uprising, have successfully overthrown the 240-year old monarchy and brought new hope for the ordinary people of Nepal.
8. The Maoists have played crucial role in overthrowing the monarchy and mobilizing the people in the democratic movement, and have gained massive support from the grassroots. Maoists won over 3.14 million votes in 2008 election of Constituent Assembly, and captured 229 seats over 601 seats in the Constituent Assembly, making it the largest party in the parliament. For the poor majority, UCPN-M represent a radical change that would increase workers rights, , land reform for the peasants, access to education and health care, equal rights for ethnic minorities and extensive pro-people economic development.
9. The current crisis demonstrated the bureaucrats and political elites, who are fearful of a radical change, tried to prevent such change and to seize power through undemocratic means.
10. PSM calls for
UCPN-M and revolutionary left in Nepal to continue and intensify their mobilization of the masses in defense of the revolutionary process and democracy in Nepal
- Stop all imperialist intervention in the political affairs of Nepal, especially the US and India, have to stay away from Nepal.
- Stop state violent attacks against the protesting masses.
11. PSM also expresses its disappointment and disgrace over CPN-UML for betraying the people of Nepal.
12. PSM extend its solidarity to the revolutionary people of Nepal for their courageous struggle for social justice and freedom from oppression.
Long live revolution! Long live democracy!
Choo Chon Kai
Democracy and Class Struggle endorses the call of the Socialist Party of Malaysia for solidarity with the UCPN Maoist in Nepal.
In view of the Left dogmatist trend in the International Communist Movement currently spearheaded by the RCPUSA we call for more statements of Solidarity from organisations and parties in support of the UCPN (Maoist)
Send to the Maoist List
or to Democracy and Class struggle and we will publish them.
Posted by nickglais on 5/12/2009 06:13:00 AM