Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Suicide note of Dimitris Hristoulas outside Greek Parliament on 4th April 2012




A quick translation of the suicide note left by Dimitris Hristoulas

He shot himself dead in front of eyewitnesses outside the Greek parliament on the morning of 4/4/2012

The transcribed text in Greek are from protothema.gr


«Η κατοχική κυβέρνηση Τσολάκογλου εκμηδένισε κυριολεκτικά τη δυνατότητα επιβίωσής μου που στηριζόταν σε μια αξιοπρεπή σύνταξη που επί 35 χρόνια εγώ μόνον (χωρίς ενίσχυση κράτους) πλήρωνα γι΄αυτήν. Επειδή έχω μια ηλικία που δεν μου δίνει την ατομική δυνατότητα δυναμικής αντίδρασης (χωρίς βέβαια να αποκλείω αν ένας Έλληνας έπαιρνε το καλάσνικωφ ο δεύτερος θα ήμουν εγώ) δεν βρίσκω άλλη λύση από ένα αξιοπρεπές τέλος πριν αρχίσω να ψάχνω τα σκουπίδια για την διατροφή μου. Πιστεύω πως οι νέοι χωρίς μέλλον, κάποια μέρα θα πάρουν τα όπλα και στην πλατεία Συντάγματος θα κρεμάσουν ανάποδα τους εθνικούς προδότες, όπως έκαναν το 1945 οι Ιταλοί στον Μουσολίνι (Πιάτσα Πορέτο του Μιλάνου).»
TRANSLATION:

The Tsolakoglou* occupation government has literally reduced to nothing my survival capability which depended on a respectable pension which, over 35 years, I alone (without state contribution) have paid into. Because I am at an age where I no longer have the power to resist actively (though of course I don't rule it out, if any Greek took up a kalashnikov I'd be the second to do so) I can find no other solution for a dignified end before I am reduced to looking through garbage to feed myself. I believe that the young without a future will someday take up arms and will hang the national traitors upside down in Constitution* Square, as the Italians hanged Mussolini in 1945 (in Piazza Poreto in Milan)

*This is a reference to the first collaborationist government in occupied Greece during WWII.

* Syntagma

No comments: